A man who lost family members to carbon monoxide poisoning last year is wondering why the Yukon Government following up with recommendations from an inquest into the incident.

A faulty chimney killed four members of Cameron Rusk's family last winter in Whitehorse. He lost his brother, sister-in-law, niece, nephew and a family friend.

Rusk said he was pleased when a coroner's jury recommended government action to prevent future tragedies. The lawyer representing the Rusk family’s landlord also suggested that every brick chimney in the territory be inspected.

si-rusks

Brad and Valerie Rusk, and their children Rebekah and Gabriel, died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Whitehorse home in January 2012. (Photo courtesy of Ken and Evelyn Walters)

However, it's been more than a month since the jury made its recommendations.

"They have to get this moving. It has to be going forward. We need the people to talk about this and not just sit back and wait," said Rusk.

A coroner’s jury recommended the government initiate an immediate public information campaign, urging Yukoners to have brick or masonry chimneys inspected.

Rusk says the government had plenty of advance warnings before his family died and he can't believe the government would be dragging its feet now.

"Peoples’ lives are at stake. We don't want people to go through this. They have to get this moving," added Rusk.

The Yukon Coroner’s office declined an interview, but issued a statement saying action on the recommendations is now up to the Yukon government.