Enook, Ell, Oshutapik win Nunavut byelections
Joe Enook of Tununiq, Monica Ell of Iqaluit West and Hezekiah Oshutapik of Pangnirtung claimed victory in the three Nunavut byelections Monday night.
The Baffin Island ridings were all vacated earlier this year.
Results from Nunavut legislature byelections on Sept. 12:
|Iqaluit West||Tuutalik Boychuck||38||8.9%|
|Monica Inunak Ell||230||54%|
|Sam Sr. Omik||27||7.8%|
|David Qajaakuttuk Qamaniq||109||31.5%|
In Iqaluit West, former premier Paul Okalik resigned in early April to run as a Liberal candidate in the federal election, and ended up losing to incumbent Conservative Leona Aglukkaq. Tununiq, the riding for Pond Inlet, became empty when long-time politician James Arvaluk stepped down in May for health reasons. Pangnirtung MLA Adamee Komoartok resigned in March amid controversy about an assault charge he faced at the time. Prosecutors withdrew that charge against him on May 6.
A total of nine candidates were running for the positions.
In Iqaluit West, the contest was between:
- Ell, who has lived in Iqaluit West since the 1970s and been involved in many businesses and organizations.
- Tuutalik Boychuk, who has an MA in education.
- Kirt Ejesiak, making his first run at territorial politics following his candidacy in the 2008 federal election.
The 700 registered voters for the Tununiq race had a pool of long-time public servants and relative newcomers to choose from:
- Enook, who is from Pond Inlet, has served on several business organizations and was making his first run at territorial politics.
- Brandy Kanayuk, who works for the Department of Justice in Iqaluit but has lived in Pond Inlet previously.
- Sam Senior Omik, a community elder who used to be the mayor of Pond Inlet and is a regular on several boards and committees.
- David Qamaniq, who has also been mayor and is currently the community liaison officer for Qikiqtani Inuit Association.
Pangnirtung voters had two choices to fill the seat:
- Oshutapik, a director of Pangnirtung Fisheries.
- Johnny Mike, the chairman of Niqitaq Fisheries.