Dawson City's Fire Chief is again raising the alarm about the need for 911 service after a call about a fire came through his personal cellphone after being relayed through two other callers.
Jim Regimbal says last night's scenario is yet another example of why a Yukon-wide 911 emergency telephone system is needed.
Regimbal says the first person to spot the fire near the landfill couldn't remember the fire department's emergency number. That started an information relay.
The man called a friend, who also didn't know the emergency number. He called Jim Regimbal's cellphone.
"My personal phone went off and it was this gentleman saying there was a fire out at the landfill," the fire chief said.
Regimbal says the fire was spreading towards some propane tanks when firefighters got on the scene. He says they were able to get it under control despite windy conditions and a delayed call to action.
Last week in Dawson City, neighbours of a house that was on fire were surprised when they couldn't get through as they tried to dial 911 to reach the fire department.