The Yukon Fire Marshal's Office says a house fire in Mount Lorne last month was started by a dog chewing on a box of “strike anywhere” type matches.

Dennis Berry says no people — or dogs — were injured in the Nov. 25 fire, but there was extensive smoke damage to the home.

“Obviously it's easy enough for a dog to plan an escape when they set fire to their own dog bed,” Berry says.

But Berry recommends human beings log on to the Fire Marshal’s Facebook page to find tips on how to be safe in their own homes.

“The warning from this is that, certainly as we enter the holiday season, but any time of the year, that it's very easy start a fire and something as easy as a dog chewing on a pack of matches could easily start a fire.”

Dennis Berry

Yukon fire marshal Dennis Berry. (CBC)

Berry says the fire was out by the time firefighters arrived on the scene.

He’s reminding people to make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and to have a home escape plan in the event of a fire.