Asbestos, mould found at Iqaluit public health building
Problems found after an inspection at the leaky building
Iqaluit's public health building will be shut down for renovations after an inspection found mould and asbestos.
Both pose a health risk for staff and patients. Staff and services will be moved to another location.
The building is home to Iqaluit’s tuberculosis and maternal health programs.
The problems were found after an inspection of the leaking building.
The Government of Nunavut leases the building from Coman Arctic for more than $200,000 a year.
According to government documents, the building has been leased until April 2014.
For now, the building remains open to the public.