Arctic sealift vessel heading to Discovery Channel

The MV Avataq, owned by Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping, will appear in an episode of "Mighty Ships" airing on the Discovery Channel on Friday, November 29.
The MV Avataq, owned by Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping, is set to appear in an episode of "Might Ships" on the Discovery Channel this Friday. (NEAS)

A sealift vessel owned by Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping will be featured in an episode of "Mighty Ships" set to air on the Discovery Channel next Friday. 

The episode will follow the MVAvataq as she delivers supplies to Kuujjuaq and Kangiqsualujjuaq.

Suzanne Paquin, president and CEO of NEAS, says people should be proud that the Avataq will be highlighted on the show. "The Avataq is the first Canadian-flagged, Inuit-owned vessel to be featured on "Mighty Ships," so from that perspective, all Inuit can take pride in [this]."

Paquin says the episode will show viewers the extreme conditions in which the ship operates and highlight the need for more shipping infrastructure in the area. 

The episode airs Friday, November 29, on the Discovery Channel.

Nunavut Eastern Arctic Shipping Inc. is a Nunavut Inuit majority owned enterprise, with 51 per cent of the voting shares held by local Nunavut Inuit companies, including Merkosak Construction Ltd. and Isaac (Ike) Haulli. The remaining 49 per cent of shares are held by NEAS Inc., owned jointly by Makivik Corporation and Transport Nanuk Inc., a joint venture between Logistec Corporation and The North West Company.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.