A St. John's man accused of killing his girlfriend by running her down with his truck was denied bail Wednesday.

And William Conway had a message for the public as he was being escorted back to jail by sheriff's officers.

"One thing I have to say ... please don't drink and drive," said Conway, directing his comments toward a CBC reporter and cameraman.

"These cuffs are real. There's no winner here."

Conway is accused of killing 57-year-old Veronica Doyle on Firdale Drive in Airport Heights on Oct. 24.

doyle-2013-11-13

Lee Doyle, who's mother Veronica was allegedly run down and killed by William Conway, speaks briefly with reporters outside provincial court in St. John's Wedesday. (CBC)

The 50-year-old has been charged with criminal negligence causing death, impaired driving causing death, leaving the scene of an accident, and several breaches of court orders.

Judge Robert Hyslop refused to release Conway on bail, saying he was a danger to the public. He also cited Conway's recurring habit of breaking conditions of his release in the past.

Conway had already been charged with assaulting Doyle in August.

At that time, he was released on conditions not to drink, drive or be anywhere near the victim.

But police say he defied those orders in the early-morning hours of Oct. 24 when he got drunk and ran over his girlfriend with his truck, leaving her in the middle of Firdale Drive.

Neighbours discovered Doyle's body and called police.

Conway has been in custody since his arrest later the same day.

Veronica Doyle was a mother and grandmother, and more than a dozen friends and family were in court Wednesday, often sobbing throughout the bail hearing.

Pleased with bail denial

Hyslop's ruling provided some relief.

"Speaking on behalf of our entire family, we are very happy with the judge's decision to deny bail to William Conway," said Lee Doyle, the victim's daughter.

She later told CBC she doesn't believe her mother's death was an accident.

Conway has a criminal history that dates back to the late 1980s and early 1990s, including convictions for assault and possessing stolen property.

He also faces one count of leaving the scene of an accident in February.

Conway is due back in court in December.