Here are the picks for the last weekend of the summer — or at least, before the school year begins.
1. Friday and Saturday night: Candlelight concerts with Sherman Downey, at the beautiful Commissariat House on King's Bridge Road in St. John's. I can’t think of a better spot to listen to the dreadlocked diva Sherman. At this writing, there are still tickets available at Fred’s Records for Friday. The show starts at 8 p.m.
2. Friday night: In Ochre Pit Cove, it's the fifth year for the North Shore Volunteer Fire Department Fundraiser at the Church at Ochre Pit Cove. An evening of music and the odd recitation a potluck, open mic and a silent auction. Townies and baymen playing together in a church. There may be a star sighting of On The Go host Ted Blades — he’s the emcee. Tickets are $10 at the door.
3. Saturday night in Port Rexton, a Just Before Dinner reading. The Writers' Alliance and the Fisher’s Loft launch another season of dinner readings with poet and aphoristic bon vivant George Murray. Admission to the reading is free and starts at 6 p.m., but if you want to stick around for supper and gaze out over the moonlight on Fox Island, you better call 1-877-464-3240 for reservations.
4. Saturday in St. John's, it's dirt bike madness by Macpherson Elementary on Newtown Road, starting at 1 p.m. The producers of the Donnie Dumphy film How To Be Deadly are holding a dirt bike rally and have bleachers, refreshments and snacks to welcome fans and extras. Free.
5. It's garlic-palooza on Saturday in Upper Amherst Cove. The Bonavista Social Club's second annual Garlic Festival is happening Saturday afternoon and evening. Food, amazing bread from a wood-burning oven, a pig roast and what just might be the best tasting and hardiest garlic in the world for sale. More: 709-445-5556.
6. On Sunday in St. John's, look for Hous. One night only! At 153 LeMarchant Road at 8 p.m., a house filled with art installations, short plays and cool artsy types. $10 at the door.
[CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.]