WAM's weekend picks: magic, nature and putting on the ritz
1. On Friday, Putting on the Ritz, 7:30 p.m. at The Rooms. Dress up in your spiffiest 1920s flapper gear, learn the Charleston from Judy Knee, and dance to the Terry Campbell Quintet. It’s a party for the Bata Show Museum travelling exhibit, “The Roaring Twenties: Heels, Hemlines and High Spirits”. Tickets are $25. More details here.
2. On Friday and Saturday, Magic and Comedy, 8 p.m. at the Barbara Barrett Basement Theatre, Arts and Culture Centre. Local magician Michael Conway presents an evening of illusion and sleight of hand and — wait for it — a lady being sawed in half! Why don’t they ever saw the dudes in half? Comedian Luke Lawrence opens the evening.
3. On Saturday, Trent McClellan Comedy Show, 8 p.m. at the Holy Heart Theatre. He could possibly be the funniest Newfoundlander yet! It’s his Sit, Listen & Laugh Tour in St. John’s for one night only. Tickets are $30. More details here.
4. On Saturday, Landscapes Illuminated Art Show, 3 p.m. at the Bonnie Leyton Gallery. Light Installations by Philippa Jones, encaustic landscapes from Margaret Ryall, oil landscapes from Louise Sutton, and mix media woodcuts from Anita Singh. More details here.
5. All weekend, 3D nature films at the Johnson GEO Centre: Flight of the Butterflies 3D (10 a.m., 12:10 p.m., 2:10 p.m. and 4:10 p.m.), Ocean Voyagers 3D about a humpback whale and her calf (11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m.) and Space, Staying Alive 2D (11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m.). More details here.
6. On Saturday, Marjorie Doyle Reading Before Dinner, 6 p.m. at the Fisher’s Loft Inn in Port Rexton. Marjorie will read from Reels, Rock and Rosaries: Confessions of a Newfoundland Musician. Free.
7. On Sunday, Family Crafts, 1 - 4 p.m. at The Rooms. Learn to “make fish,” try rug hooking, play and make traditional games, plus Inuit drumming and throat singing. More details here.
Let WAM know about your wicked weekend events: firstname.lastname@example.org.