WAM's picks for 5 (or 6) must-see weekend events
1. The Victoria Park Lantern Festival takes place on Saturday. The fun will start at 2 p.m. with booths, last-minute lantern making workshops, a canteen and a barbecue. At dusk (estimated at 8:30 p.m.) the grand spectacle begins with a lantern parade and then a fire show.
2. Steve Maloney and the Wandering Kind, Katie Baggs and East of Empire are all performing at the LSPU Hall on Friday at 8 p.m. These up-and-coming new artists are making names for themselves, and some were recently featured on Heavy Weather 2013 on CBC Television.
3. The Feile Seamus Creagh concert will be held in Renews at 8 p.m. on Saturday night at the Regina Mundi Complex. Tickets are $20 at Freds, O'Briens, and at the door. Featuring Ireland's Sundays Well, Robbie O'Connell, Jackie Daly & Matt Cranitch plus Newfoundland and Labrador's Daniel Payne and the All-Ireland Champion Dancer Caitlin nic Gabhann.
4. Chris Picco, Gavin Simms, Joel Thomas Hynes and Ilia Nicoll perform during an acoustic night on Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets $15 at the LSPU Hall Second Space. This is one of those quiet shows that people will be so glad they attended.
5. Sherlock Holmes by the Woody Point Heritage Theatre will take place Saturday night in Corner Brook. You can check out their take on Arthur Conan Doyle's famed character at the Arts and Culture Centre.
And if your weekend extends to Monday …
6. An open mic night down at the Ship Bar in St. John's. A great way to display your talent, offered by MusicNL.