WAM's picks for 5 (or 6) must-see weekend events
1. The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival takes place this weekend, Friday to Sunday, at Bowring Park in St. John's. Over the weekend, you can check out some amazing artists such as Joel Plaskett, Mo Kenny, Tim Baker, Spirit of the West, The Irish Descendants, as well as the winners of CBC's Searchlight Contest, Sherman Downey and the Ambiguous Case. Check out the video for Joel Plaskett's Through & Through & Through below.
2. The Tuckamore Festival continues this weekend, which showcases some of the best young classical music performers in the world. The festival takes place at various venues in St. John’s, including St. Andrew’s church and the MUN School of Music and some of the concerts are free.
3. Winterset in Summer Literary Festival is happening in Eastport. Friday night they have some of Canada's best crime writers, including Giles Blunt, Gail Bowen and Thomas Rendell Curran. On Saturday night, guest writer Anne Enright — the 2007 Man Booker Prize winner — will be in conversation with acclaimed St. John's writer Lisa Moore.
4. The Bakeapple Folk Festival takes places this weekend at the Labrador Straits Arena. The festival celebrates the popular pastime of berry picking in Labrador Straits. The weekend includes many events, including an old fashion school house concert, local square dance demonstration, traditional bakeapple breakfast, bakeapple picking, and a folk festival.
5. Check out the St. John’s Downtown Busker’s Festival from 12 p.m. until 10 p.m. each day this weekend. The streets will be filled with clowns, magicians and musicians performing their craft all around the downtown area.
And if your weekend extends to Monday …
6. There's Open Mic night at the Ship Pub Monday night at 8:30 p.m. So if you’re feeling brave, bring your talent and join in on the fun.