WAM Picks: World Ocean Day, ECT turns 20 and the farmer's market
Eastern Edge Gallery – 7 p.m. One Night Stand — A performance art series featuring three performance artists: Coral Short (Montreal), Kailey Bryan (St. John’s) and Evelyn Donnelly (New York). Exploring spectacle, community and body politics through a diverse series of performative acts, interventions and collaborations.
Lion’s Chalet – 9 a.m. The first St. John's Farmer’s Market of the season. If you're unsure of where the chalet is located, it's situated off Bonaventure Avenue.
King George V Park – 8 a.m. Celebrate two decades of the East Coast Trail by going on a hike.
Saturday is World Oceans Day:
- MUN Ocean Science Centre, Logy Bay – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., meet the resident seals and other ocean creatures
- Middle Cove Beach – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Celebrate World Oceans Day by joining a shoreline biodiversity survey with MUN scientists; take a guided coastal hike; meet the OSC scuba team; play a shoreline scavenger hunt and explore the touch tank
- Ridge Road - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Free family activities at the Marine Institute
- Petty Harbour – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mini Aquarium opening day
- Holyrood Marine Base – 10 a.m to 3 p.m. Coast Guard oil spill demo, wharf-side tours and hour long cruises on the MV Coastal Explorer and its ROV
On the music scene:
- LSPU Hall – 8 p.m., The Second Annual Blues Revue, featuring 14 year olds Joseph Coffin and Nick Earle; the Low Yo Stuff : Steve Hussey and Brad Power; Dave Rowe and blues godfather Denis Parker. Parker will be joined by the Novak’s Mick Davis, Elliot Dicks and John Clarke as The Modern Saints.
- Rocket Bakery – 8 p.m., The Freels
- The Fat Cat Blues Bar – 10:30 p.m., Adam McGrath & The Tearjerkers with the Colleen Power Band.
Less Violence More Violin Concert at Wesley United Church, 2 p.m. Performers include Jennifer Johnson and Nancy Case-Oates on violin, Andrea Lane-Gardiner on piano and Karen Bulmer on tuba. Tickets are $10 (children will be admitted free). All proceeds to go to support Oxfam Canada’s purchases of goats, safe water and vegetable gardens.