WAM Picks: Choral composers, square dancing and the Home Show
For the weekend of March 21-23
Do you have your nan's recipe cards ... or did your mother keep a scrapbook of her favourites? Do you reminisce about that old copy of the Cream of the West Cookbook complete with tea stains and comments written all over its pages? Bring your old recipe books and cards and join the Heritage Foundation for a fun afternoon of tea, buns and memories of cookbooks and cooking.
It is a free event, but you're asked to please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 1-888-739-1892, ext. 5.
The Downtown music scene this week:
- The Fat Cat, Old Number Seven, 10 p.m.
- The Ship, Pet Vet EP release party, 10 p.m.
- The Levee, Water Front Fire EP release party with Port of Call, Young Maniacs and Make Mean Everything,
- 10:30 p.m.
- The Rockhouse, Hear/Say, Sonny Tripp and Potemtole, 11 p.m.
- The Rockhouse, In The Flesh – A tribute to Pink Floyd, with special guests Andrew Vardy, Mike Fleet, AmandaGosse and Rosie Gillingham. 11 p.m.
- Distortion, Uneeda tribute show with The Offspring, 10 p.m.
- The Ship, The Instigators, The Salty Dolls & The Moonshine Men, 10 p.m.
- The Fat Cat, The Hallidays, 10 p.m.
- The Republic, A Swing Dance Social with a lesson from Lindy Hop on the Rock, 9 p.m.
- The Annexe, Selina Boland and Melanie O’Brien,10 p.m.
- The Levee is hosting an open jam at 8 p.m.
Saturday, Traditional NL Square Dancing – Dance to your heart’s content with the Mizzen Heritage Dancers of Heart's Content, at the MMAP Gallery in the St. John’s Arts and Culture Centre. This is open to dancers of all ages and skill levels. A panel discussion will follow immediately after. It all starts at 1 p.m.
Saturday, CBC in Your Home – For the first time, CBC will have a booth at the Canadian Home Builders' Association 2014 Home Show at Mile One Centre. The Home Show is open to the public Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. General admission is $8, $7 for seniors, and children under 12 (with an adult) will be admitted free of charge.
Saturday, Craft Fair for Comfort in Care – Crafters are invited to set up a table in support of the five adult hospitals in the St. John's area. The Comfort in Care Program funds items that are not provided through existing hospital budgets to patients and their families during their hospital stays. The event will take place at the Re/Max Centre from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission's $5.
Saturday and Sunday, Dido and Aeneas – Join MUN Opera and the Cantus Vocum Chamber Choir for a performance of Henry Purcell’s tragic love story at the D.F. Cook Recital Hall, 7;30 p.m. on Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday.
Sunday, Afternoon Tea – With the St. John’s Choir at Wesley United Church from 2-4 p.m.. There will be musical entertainment, ticket draws and some special treats. Tickets are $12 each.