WAM Picks: A world premiere, swing music for kids and rock poems
Friday, Rock Poetry – Two time Governor General Award-winning poet and all 'round rock fanatic Don McKay is reading from his poetry collections ‘Paradoxides’ & ‘Strike/slip’ at the Manuels River Hibernia Interpretation Centre. 7 p.m.
Friday, The Ladies of Vegas – Kelly-Ann Evans takes to the St. John's Arts & Culture Centre stage with the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra, for a salute to Barbra, Bette, Céline,and Shania. Tickets ($45/$40). Showtime is 8 p.m.
Friday, Used Book Sale – The Canadian Federation of University Women, at the Arts and Culture Centre in St. John's from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
The Downtown Music Scene this week:
- The Ship - Baytown EP Release Party for their album Island, 10 p.m.
- CBTG’s - The Road to CMW, Come down and see bands Waterfront Fire, Hogarth and The Sky Vines, Navigator Black & The Indighost & Deluison Victims. Upstairs it’s John Cossar, Jason Murphy, Button Down Dan, Jordan Lawrence, Jay Miln and Nick Hopkins. They’re all battling it out to win one of two spots for Canada Music Week in Toronto.
- Distortion - Derek Williams & the Back Country Band (from Montreal), with guests The Beautiful Wrecks and Two Guitars Clash. 10:30 p.m.
- Fat Cat - Join Allie Duff, Emily Locke and Danny Mills and others play in memory of folklore student Mary Griffiths. Proceeds fund a bursary for fieldwork-based research. 7:30 p.m.
- Rockhouse - From Footloose to Dirty Dancing - A movie themes fundraiser for The Nickel Film Festival, 10 p.m.
- The Ship - Danika Drover & The Wander Years, Johnny Am I Good and the Corroborators, 9 p.m.
- The Fat Cat – The Thymes, 9 p.m.
- CBTG’s – The Road to CMW Finals, 10 p.m.
- The Rockhouse – Steve Maloney and The Wandering Kind Album Release Party, 10:30 p.m.
Saturday, Meet The Swinging Belles, a new swing band for kids. The Swinging Belles feature child educators and performers Laura Winter and Erin Power joined by guitarist extraordinaire Duane Andrews. Tickets are $7 at the door. 1:30 p.m. at the Rocket Room.
Saturday, MUN Jazz Ensemble performs big band music, directed by Bill Brennan. D.F. Cook Recital Hall at 8 p.m. Tickets: $20/$15.
Theatre this weekend:
- All Weekend, Nightswimming Theatre’s production of Blue Box written and performed by Carmen Aguirre. Blue Box weaves together two stories: one from Carmen’s life in 1980s Chile. The LSPU Hall, at 8 p.m.
- All Weekend, Rabbittown Theatre’s production of Martin McDonagh’s The Pillowman. Directed by Courtney Brown and featuring actors Aiden Flynn, Steve O’Connell, Michael Rhodri Smith and Darren Ivany. Barbara Barrett Theatre, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Comedy - Rotary St. John's East ROTFL. It's the 2nd Annual Triple Bill Comedy Night, featuring Sue Kent from This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Dave Sullivan and Brian Aylward, and hosted by Amy House. Proceeds going towards local literacy groups and the Bannerman Park Rotary Splash Pad. For tickets, email email@example.com The fun starts at 7 p.m. at the Bella Vista.
Saturday - Folk Music Birthday party - Maheriposa! A tribute concert for the legendary Frank Maher on his 80th birthday. Featuring Aaron Collis and Emilia Bartellas, Jean Hewson, Pamela Morgan, Dave Panting, Dave Penny, Russells in the Corner, Solid Ground, Stan Pickett and Andrew Lang, Christina Smith and Rick West, at George St. United Church. Tickets are $20, and available at O'Brien's Music Store and Fred's Records. Start time is 8 p.m.
Sunday – Queer Monologues: Stories of LBGT Youth Book Launch presented by For the Love of Learning and Breakwater Books. Hosted by Greg Malone, featuring readings from Amy Anthony, Joshua Jamieson & Robyn Noseworthy and guests Mary Barry and Agnes Walsh. The book launch starts at 7 p.m. at Bianca’s.