Fire crews are not clear on the source of smoke inside the Village Mall in St. John's on Tuesday morning.

The building was evacuated around 8:30 a.m. after heavy smoke was spotted in an area on the second floor.

St. John's Regional Fire Department superintendent Derek Chafe said there was an electrical problem with an air circulation unit on the roof.

He said crews checked out the equipment of the roof of the mall and ensured there was nothing else burning.

No flames were discovered in the search of the mall.

Chafe added the smoke seemed unrelated to damage caused by power outages at the mall in January.

The Village was set to reopen at 11 a.m. Tuesday.