Videotape of Folker interview played for jury

Jurors at the David Folker murder trial at Supreme Court in St. John's watched his videotaped interview with police in court this morning.
David Folker is accused of killing his former girlfriend Ann Marie Shirran in 2010. (CBC)

A videotaped interview between the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary and David Folker, just six days after the disappearance of his former partner, showed a devastated man who was fully co-operative with police. 

"It's a nightmare," Folker told police on July 24, 2010.

Folker, who is on trial for the second-degree murder of Ann Marie Shirran, offered police access to his computer and phone records, and agreed to do a polygraph if police deemed it necessary.

Folker was also candid about his failed relationship. 

"We were breaking up," Folker told police about he and Shirran's relationship.

However, the majority of Folker's statement to police was a lie.

He did know where Shirran was — he had dumped her body in a wooded area of Cappayhayden on the Southern Shore a week before the police interview.

Folker, now 42, was teary eyed and wept through most of the taped conversation.

In Supreme Court on Wednesday, Folker kept his head down as jurors watched the lengthy police interview.

In the interview, Sgt. Patrick Roche questioned why Folker did not call Ann Marie Shirran's cell phone after she went missing. Roche said that calling her seemed like the logical thing to do.

"I never even thought about it. She left in a huff, so I wanted to let her cool off," Folker told Sgt. Roche. 

Folker told police that Shirran accused him of having anger problems.

"She thought I had anger issues ...[that] I needed all kinds of help ... pills ... counselling, but I don't," Folker told police.

The same day that Folker gave a statement to police, the RNC began to monitor his actions. 

Folker was monitored driving a van from a car dealership on Kenmount Road to a wooded area off of Blackhead Road.

The defence conceded on behalf of their client that Folker hid Shirran's belongings off Blackhead Road near Cape Spear.

The RNC also watched as Folker drove to Cape Spear with his one-year-old son. Police alleged that Folker stopped and stared out at the ocean with the baby.

That was when child services stepped in and placed the child in their care. It was also at that point when Folker's status shifted from 'complainant' to 'person of interest.'

The trial continues in St. John's on Thursday. 



To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.