Premier Tom Marshall says he will make decisions on how to rejig his cabinet next week, after nominations close Monday for the Newfoundland and Labrador Tory leadership.

Two ministers – Paul Davis and Steve Kent – resigned from cabinet this week to enter the leadership race.

That left holes in the health and municipal affairs portfolios, along with the Office of Public Engagement.

“In the short term, I have asked other members of cabinet to assume their responsibilities until nominations close on Monday and we have a full picture of any additional resignations leaving cabinet posts vacant,” Marshall said in a statement issued late Friday.

In the interim, Finance Minister Charlene Johnson will take on responsibility for Health, while Child, Youth and Family Services Minister Clyde Jackman will handle Municipal Affairs and Tourism Minister Sandy Collins will cover the Office of Public Engagement.

The deadline to enter the leadership race is Monday at noon. The third candidate to declare so far is former MHA and cabinet minister John Ottenheimer.

“If more resignations come, those responsibilities will also be temporarily assigned to members of the cabinet,” Marshall noted in his statement.

“Next week, after the nomination process is closed, I will deal with all cabinet changes on a more permanent basis.”

The Newfoundland and Labrador Progressive Conservatives will select a new leader on Sept. 13.