Suspect tells reporters, 'it was an accident'
St. John's man charged in the death of Veronica Doyle
William Conway, charged in the Oct. 24 death of Veronica Doyle, told reporters, 'it was an accident' before making a provincial court appearance on Friday.
Conway, 50, was charged Thursday with impaired driving causing death, failure to remain at the scene of an accident and breaches of a court order.
Doyle, referred to in court records as Veronica Lewis, was found dead in the middle of Firdale Drive in Airport Heights early on Thursday.
Conway had been driving his vehicle and fled the scene.
Court order given following Aug. 16 incident
Conway was ordered by the court on Aug. 16 to stay away from Doyle, following an altercation between the two. He was also ordered to surrender his driver's licence and to refrain from alcohol.
He was also ordered to reside at 56 Firdale Drive.
Doyle, 57, appears in several photographs with Conway on Facebook, while Conway's own Facebook profile jokingly references his criminal history.
Conway lists his education as attending the "School off [of] Hard Knocks," and his work experience as "H.M.P. St. John's."
He had been scheduled to have a court appearance in December to answer to the August assault charges.
Conway is due back in provincial court on Nov. 13 for a bail hearing.
Popular now in news
- 1455 reading nowLive Blog
Jury could hear from final Crown witness at Laura Babcock murder trial
- 1341 reading now
Competition Bureau wants answers from Sears liquidators on alleged price mark-ups, says report
- 1054 reading now
Unpaid Zara garment workers say they still haven't seen a cent
- 1052 reading nowAnalysis
Hollywood stars on the defensive as scandals prompt tough questions
- 947 reading nowAnalysis
Don't expect government meddling in the housing market to fix it: Don Pittis