Teen reports armed robbery in Cowan Heights
Posted: Jan 18, 2013 6:56 AM NT
Last Updated: Jan 18, 2013 10:00 AM NT
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating a report of an armed robbery in the west end of St. John's on Thursday night.
The RNC said an 18-year-old man told police that two people robbed him in the Cowan Heights area of the city.
"The suspect[s] were a male [and] a female each carrying a weapon," the RNC said in a statement early Friday, although police are not commenting on what kind of weapons were involved in the incident.
The teenager was not injured.
Last week, police were called to the nearby area of Cowan Avenue and Topsail Road, where a man was sent to hospital for treatment after being struck by a bat. The victim was unable to tell how many people were involved in that assault and robbery.
Latest Nfld. & Labrador News Headlines
- Workers stage blockade at La Scie crab plant
- A shipment of crab remains stuck on Newfoundland's Baie Verte Peninsula, as plant workers refuse to let the seafood leave for processing. more »
- Willing + Wanted: Young people in the workplace
- The biggest spike in wages and activity in Newfoundland and Labrador's workforce is among the young. Beth Macdonell interviews some of them. more »
- Arts centre cuts upset drama teacher
- A drama teacher in western Labrador is wondering how the Arts and Culture Centre will function amid staffing reductions. more »
- Controlling hospital infections a continuing concern
- The Newfoundland and Labrador government is refusing to release what it calls a draft report on hospital-acquired infections — a report that one health official said found rates higher here than the national average. more »
Top News Headlines
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals
- Beset by three so-called scandals at the moment, Barack Obama has been meeting his accusers and the press head on, Neil Macdonald writes. The same cannot be said for how Stephen Harper operates. more »
- Court freezes assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- The RCMP are moving to freeze millions of dollars in bank accounts and real estate holdings in Montreal and Florida in their expanding probe into Canadian engineering firm SNC-Lavalin. more »
- Needed: New approaches to defuse 'suicide contagion' among teens
- Mental health experts say we need to find new ways to refer to and discuss suicide, particularly now that a large medical study has confirmed that teens are more susceptible to the idea if they know a schoolmate who died that way. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma case in court today on murder charge
- A second man arrested in the death of Tim Bosma, a Hamilton father who disappeared after taking two men on a test drive, is due in court today to face a charge of first-degree murder. more »
- Crew safe after vessel sinks off St. John's
- Bay Roberts couple win $2M on scratch ticket
- Three surgeons leaving hospital in St. Anthony
- Crown loses bid to appeal killer's release
- Marshall asks Senate committee to review her pay
- Shoal Point retracts claim of drilling approval
- A0A not OK for Shea Heights residents
- Labrador school a 'toxic' place to work, says report
- Court date set for nurse involved in privacy breach