Patient's family looking for answers on highway death
Posted: Sep 25, 2012 5:54 PM NT
Last Updated: Sep 25, 2012 9:24 PM NT
Relatives of a 19-year-old man killed after he fled from an ambulance on the Trans-Canada Highway early Monday are looking for answers about what happened.Riley Andersen Fowlow was killed by a transport truck on Monday morning. (CBC )
Riley Andersen Fowlow of Port Rexton was being taken to a health facility in St. John's when the incident occurred.
Eric Squires, the Anglican minister in Port Rexton, said Fowlow's family is very upset.
"They feel let down by society, by Eastern Health and law enforcement," said Squires. "This is a tragedy that shouldn't have happened as far as they are concerned, and they have a lot of questions."
Trouble started at Fowlow's home
Sources close to the family said Fowlow, who had been struggling with mental health issues, became agitated at home on Sunday night.
He left his house and went to a hostel next door. At some point, paramedics were called.
Sources said paramedics and Fowlow's father were unable to handle the teen, so the RCMP were called in to help with the situation. Police could not get Fowlow's hands behind his back to handcuff him, so they cuffed him in front and drove him in a police cruiser to the hospital in Clarenville.
Fowlow apparently calmed down when he got to the hospital, but he was not sedated.
He was then taken by ambulance, with plans to transfer him to another health facility in St. John's.
Sources said the RCMP told Fowlow's family that he became agitated again on the ride to St. John's and took off his seat belt.
Police said the ambulance driver slowed down because paramedics were afraid Fowlow would jump out of the vehicle, which he eventually did.
Eastern Health issues apology
On Tuesday evening, Eastern Health CEO Vickie Kaminski apologized on behalf of the health authority for the death of Fowlow, and she added that the investigation into what happened should take about two weeks.Rev. Eric Squires says Fowlow's family wants answers about what happened. (CBC )
Fowlow's family has not been able to make funeral arrangements because they're still waiting for the coroner to release the young man's body.
But Rev. Squires said Fowlow's family won't be able to put the tragedy to rest with the release of Fowlow's body.
"This is not over for them," said Squires. "They're hoping to put their son to rest and once their son is put to rest they're going to be pursuing this to get the answers that they need."
Latest Nfld. & Labrador News Headlines
- Controlling hospital infections a continuing concern
- The Newfoundland and Labrador government is refusing to release what it calls a draft report on hospital-acquired infections — a report that one health official said found rates higher here than the national average. more »
- Crew safe after vessel sinks off St. John's
- Gander search and rescue says four crew members from a vessel which capsized about 70 nautical miles northeast of St. John's have been rescued by the crew of another ship. more »
- Crown loses bid to appeal killer's release
- The Crown has been denied a chance to appeal a decision in a disturbing murder case on the west coast of Newfoundland. more »
- Shoal Point retracts claim of drilling approval
- Shoal Point Energy has retracted an earlier claim that it had received approval from the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board to drill a new well on the west coast of Newfoundland. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- 2 infants confirmed among dead of Oklahoma tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of 10 children. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- Bay Roberts couple win $2M on scratch ticket
- Labrador school a 'toxic' place to work, says report
- Facebook post foreshadows teen's robbery arrest
- Marshall asks Senate committee to review her pay
- A0A not OK for Shea Heights residents
- St. John's to spend $1.5M to develop park
- Crown attorneys' group head leaving post
- Crew safe after vessel sinks off St. John's
- Court date set for nurse involved in privacy breach