Three men have been arrested and charged in last week's shocking abduction and killing of Steven Miller in Conception Bay South, N.L.

Paul Connolly, 35, and Calvin Kenny, 25, both from St. John's, and Kyle Morgan, 19, from Paradise were charged Friday with first-degree murder, forcible confinement, robbery and arson.

Miller's body was discovered in a driveway in the Bayview Heights neighbourhood of C.B.S. shortly after 8 a.m. on July 30 with multiple stab wounds. Police say the 25-year-old was violently abducted from his home by three armed and masked intruders earlier that morning a few kilometres from where his body was found.

Investigators believe the intruders then set the house ablaze.

Connection to prison riot

Timeline Steven Miller Homicide

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary has released a timeline of events in the Steven Miller homicide case. (RNC)

Connolly, who had a large gash on his forehead when he appeared in court Friday, was the man who was found unconscious on Trails End Drive in Paradise at 5 a.m. on July 30 with apparent stab wounds. That was about an hour after police learned Miller had been abducted and his home burned.

Earlier in the week, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary told reporters they weren't ruling out a link between the stabbing of Connolly and the abduction of Miller.

Both Connolly and Kenny are believed to be connected to the "St. John's Mob," a self-branded gang that formed in Her Majesty's Penitentiary in St. John's and became known to the public in 2014.

Both men were sentenced for their involvement in a riot at the prison's chapel that year.

Sources tell CBC News that Morgan worked as a lifeguard prior to the death of Miller.

The three men appeared in a St. John's courtroom on Friday. They were all remanded into custody and will appear again in court later in August.

Connolly was ordered not to contact 10 people, including Miller's parents and brother.

Police probe ongoing

A spokesperson for the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary told reporters Friday afternoon that the police investigation into Miller's murder is continuing.

"While we have made arrests, we're still fairly early in the investigation, we're only six days in," said Const. Geoff Higdon. "So it's very difficult to us to speculate as to if there's anyone else involved or motive, and those types of things."

Higdon again asked for information about businesses that sold gas in yellow cans in the days before Miller's death. He also said he couldn't comment on a red Honda Civic that police seized as part of their investigation.

Police have set up a dedicated tip line for the case, at 1-709-729-8800.

Funeral services Friday

A service was held Friday for Miller at a chapel in St. John's.

According to his obituary, he is survived by his parents, a brother, grandparents and other relatives.

Steve Miller-abduction

A service will be held Friday morning for Miller at a chapel in St. John's. According to his obituary, he is survived by his parents, a brother, grandparents and other relations. (Facebook)

With files from Terry Roberts