Stay application for Crockwell dismissed
Leo Crockwell has lost a legal battle to have the charges against him stayed.
He claimed the RCMP violated his charter rights by using excessive force during a standoff in Bay Bulls in December 2010 in his application to the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador on Monday.
Justice Richard LeBlanc dismissed the application in court on Wednesday afternoon, and said Crockwell was "the author of his own misfortune in many ways."
According to LeBlanc, the RCMP acted appropriately and there was no excessive force used.
He said the police were in a no-win situation and showed remarkable restraint after they had been fired upon by Crockwell.
Crockwell was convicted of assault, mischief and several weapons-related offences by a jury last June.
A sentencing hearing for Crockwell will take place on Thursday.