nl-dohey-wayne-1997file

Criminal charges against Wayne Dohey, shown in a 1997 image, have been dismissed. ((CBC))

A judge in Newfoundland and Labrador has dismissed sex-related charges against a Roman Catholic priest.

Wayne Dohey, 45, was charged last year with sexual assault and sexual exploitation.

At a hearing Thursday in Grand Bank, provincial court Judge Harold Porter dismissed both charges.

The charges were laid after a woman in her 20s complained about alleged incidents that occurred when she was 14. At the time, Dohey was working as a parish priest on the Burin Peninsula.

Last winter, Brendan O'Brien, then the archbishop of St. John's, said the woman had approached church officials in 2001, but did not at the time want to press criminal charges. O'Brien said counselling was offered to both the woman and to Dohey.

Dohey was placed on administrative leave after the charges were laid.

Rev. Frank Puddister, speaking on behalf of the Archdiocese of St. John's, said Dohey will remain on leave, pending a review of Porter's decision.

Puddister said the archdiocese was glad that the matter involving criminal charges has been resolved.