Seniors displaced by Shaw Street fire begin to return home
Residents in 30 apartments still unable to move back in
Residents of Maplewood Seniors Apartments on Shaw Street in St. John's began returning home on Thursday.
The entire building was evacuated four weeks ago after a fire started in one of the apartments.
Not everyone has moved back into the complex, just those people who lived in the wing that was least heavily damaged by fire.
Residents were forced to leave their homes with only the clothes on their backs during a snow storm.
Since the fire, many Maplewood residents have been staying with relatives or friends. The provincial government has been footing the bill for housing for 47 residents.
Residents in more than 30 apartments still cannot go home.
At the time of the fire, some residents reported that the fire began in a recliner. The RNC says the fire was accidental, but it will not disclose what caused it.