Santa, storytelling, salsa and toys
Your weekly weekend planner
Here's a list of WAM Weekend Picks for this weekend and into next week:
2. Santa in Mount Pearl, Saturday, 10 a.m.. The Mount Pearl Lions Club Santa Claus Parade starts at Mount Pearl Intermediate School and travels along Ruth Avenue and Park Avenue; finishing at Mount Pearl Square on Topsail Road. Along the route, food items can be donated to the St. Vincent de Paul Society’s local food bank, and loonies can be donated to the Community Food Sharing Association. Later, come for the annual Christmas Tree Lighting, taking place at 6:30 p.m. in Centennial Park next to Mount Pearl City Hall. The Mount Pearl Girl Guides and the O’Donel High Choir will lead the carol sing. Hot chocolate and cookies will be available.
3. Shortwave Radio Magic, Saturday, Noon to 4 p.m. Signals to Santa - at the Signal Hill Visitor Centre. Children can tell Santa their wish list — live via shortwave from the birthplace of radio.
4. Family Theatre, Friday and Saturday at Cochrane Street United Church, St. John's, 7 p.m. Freckleface The Musical - Based on the New York Times bestselling book by Academy Award-nominated actor Julianne Moore. A Best Kind Production. Tickets available through Holy Heart Theatre.
5. Live Music, Saturday in St. John’s, Arts and Culture Centre. Celtic Christmas 2013 - The Irish Descendants and The Navigators are touring the province with their Christmas Show. For tickets and other tour dates and locations click here.
6. Live Theatre, Friday and Saturday at the Barbara Barrett Theatre, Arts and Culture Centre in St. John's. Oleanna - Republic of Doyle stars Krystin Pellerin and Steven O’Connell perform David Mamet’s award-winning and controversial two-hander. Sweetline Theatre. Tickets available through the Arts and Culture Centre Box Office.
7. Shop Local, Saturday at 267 Duckworth St., St. John's. Melanie Jacqueline Custom Clothing Design and Charlottestreet present "All I want for Christmas: a Mini Craft Fair." With special guests MauzyMetalworks, Esskin, Ruby J's Room, Blue Dragon and Tulip Baroo Vegan Catering. Door prizes too.
8. Cuban Salsa and film, Saturday starting at 7 p.m. at Turkey Joe’s on George St., St. John's. 'Fundraiser for a Filmmaker,' is a super salsa fundraiser for Cuban-born filmmaker Tamara Segura, to raise funds to produce her first film in Newfoundland. Take in mini-salsa lessons for absolute beginners, or anyone needing an extra practice session. A screening of Tamara's short Cuban film, Fireflies, will follow. Music by Cuban singer and guitarist Onelvis Hierrito Fernandez and Ritmo Latino's DJ Chamba.
9. Storytelling, Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Crow’s Nest Officers’ Club, off Duckworth St. Starting this month, the Storytelling Circle will meet on the second Tuesday of each month. For more information about the Storytelling Circle and the annual St. John’s Storytelling Festival, visit storytellingstjohns.ca.
10. Live Auction and Live Music, at Club One on George St., Thursday, Dec. 12 at 8 pm. The Toy Factory is a hugely-successful fundraiser from the Idea Factory, and this year's event will feature musicians 709, Turbulence with Don-E Coady, Billy Hickey of Timber, Darrell Power, formerly of Great Big Sea and other special guests. Funds raised will benefit the YMCA’s Strong Kids Campaign.
Got an event?
Let WAM know about your wicked weekend events. Click here to get in touch.
[CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.]