Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Paul Davis says keeping the status quo for shrimp quotas is not enough.

A new shrimp plan that is being proposed would eliminate quota reductions for one year.

Those cuts saw inshore harvesters lose almost 30 per cent of their quota, compared to only five per cent for the big offshore fleets.

Don't stop there

Davis says the inshore fishery is a key component of rural communities in the province, and Ottawa should revisit last year's reductions instead of just focusing on avoiding future cuts.

tp-nl-shrimp-boats-2009file1

A plan was presented on Wednesday that would see no cuts to shrimp quotas in fishing areas off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador in 2015. (CBC)

"Let's not lose sight that there was changes previously that has significant impacts on the inshore fishery," he said.

"I think the federal government shouldn't stop there. They should look at the changes they made last year, and maybe there's some correction and balance they should try to achieve from that."

Federal fisheries minister Gail Shea still has to sign off on the one-year pause in quota cuts.

Her officials say they will consider the science and input from stakeholders before making a decision.