Newfoundland-wide outages earlier this month led government to promise an independent review of the province's electricity system, but critics said the review won't be able to properly investigate operations at Nalcor if government is involved.
Premier Kathy Dunderdale announced on Jan. 9 that an independent review would be conducted, and Newfoundland and Labrador Public Utilities Board announced the following day it would launch a formal inquiry of the system.
Almost 190,000 Newfoundland Power customers were left without power after severe weather and a fire caused service interruptions.
Derrick Dalley, the minister of Natural Resources, said the reviews will be able to get the answers they need.
"This is not going to be Minister Dalley sitting down doing up the terms of reference. We will reach out to stakeholders, we want to make sure that we ask the right questions — for all of us," Dalley said.
"This is about the next three to four years, it's [the] focus of our review and we want to make sure we have the terms of reference so it'll give us the answers we need."
Dalley was one of the guests on this week's On Point with David Cochrane.