Porter Airlines apologizes for Stephenville diversion
Porter Airlines is apologizing for how passengers on a St. John's-bound flight were treated on the weekend, after they were told to get off at the airport in Stephenville or face a five-day wait in Halifax.
About 60 people disembarked in Stephenville on Sunday, after the flight turned away from St. John's because conditions were too foggy to land.
Porter Airlines is offering passengers a $300 travel voucher, and appears ready to help cover some of the costs that passengers incurred arranging other transportation.
We apologize that there was no plan in place to bring passengers by ground transportation to St. John's and were left to make their own accommodation arrangements- Porter president Robert Deluce
Passenger Erin Ridgley shared a letter she received from Porter president and CEO Robert Deluce, who takes responsibility for what happened on the weekend.
"We apologize that there was no plan in place to bring passengers by ground transportation to St. John's and were left to make their own accommodation arrangements," wrote Deluce.
"This was not acceptable to our passengers and is not acceptable to Porter."
Deluce, who said the Stephenville stop was arranged mainly so that the plane could be refuelled, said Porter is now reviewing the incident "to mitigate against this happening again in the future."
Deluce told Ridgley that Porter is "prepared to assist with the costs associated with your flight disruption," and asked for her to submit receipts.
Until now, Porter had refused to cover costs that passengers racked up making their way home.
Passenger Emma Young told CBC News earlier this week that it cost her and three other passengers $800 to arrange a car to get them to St. John's.
Porter turned down an interview request by CBC News on Thursday.