Ornaments catch fire, causing small Mount Pearl blaze
A small fire in Mount Pearl has proven to be a big reminder of how quickly flames can spread with Christmas decorations.
Firefighters were called to a house on Smallwood Drive, where two students were getting ready for their Christmas.
Meagan Cooper said a Christmas ornament too close to the fireplace caught on fire, and the flames spread up the wall within seconds.
She and a friend quickly put it out with a fire extinguisher, but they called the fire department just to be safe.
"We just wanted to make sure nothing else was open," she said. "It just spread up the walls."
Cooper and her friend put the ornaments that caught fire in a sink.
No one was injured in the fire, and damage was limited.