New details from weekend shooting
The man charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of a woman over the weekend made an appearance in Newfoundland and Labrador's provincial court on Monday.
Trevor Pardy, 34, who was charged on Saturday with the death of Triffie Wadman, has been ordered held in custody until his next court appearance on Oct. 19.
Pardy, who was emotional on Monday, had to be assisted out of the court by sheriff's officers. During his brief appearance, family members of Wadman held up a picture of her and her daughter, and wept openly.
Wadman, 30, was found lying on Boggy Hall Place in the west end of St. John's around 1 a.m. NT Saturday.
Royal Newfoundland Constabulary spokesperson Suzanne FitzGerald spoke to reporters Monday and shed some more light on the events surrounding the death of Wadman.
She said when police arrived on scene, the woman had been shot and was lying on the road.
FitzGerald said street patrol officers pulled the woman across the road and behind a police car where she could be given cover and receive medical attention. The woman was shot outside, according to FitzGerald.
She said officers did not fire their guns during the subsequent four hour-standoff, but they did take-down the suspect.
"This individual after four hours of crisis negotiation was taken down forcibly by the tactics and rescue unit. The crisis negotiators worked very closely with the tactics and rescue unit and the incident commander to create an opportunity to forcibly take him down. But he was arrested and apprehended without injury," said FitzGerald.
Wadman was originally from Freshwater, Placentia Bay and leaves behind a child.