Man sent to hospital after Goulds fire
Snakes, turtles, rabbits and cat also rescued
One man was taken to hospital with minor smoke-related injuries after a house fire in the Goulds area Wednesday where exotic pets, including a snake and turtle, were rescued.
Firefighters responded to a call about a stove fire at a home on Petty Harbour Road just after 6 p.m.
Supt. Don Byrne of the St. John's Regional Fire Department said a total of 28 firefighters were on the scene, and a variety of pets were saved.
"Numerous animals, some of them exotic, snakes, some turtles, that sort of thing ... and rabbits. Anyway, we got them all out. One of the guys actually found a cat in there and gave it oxygen and the cat has come around and everything seems to be fine there," Byrne said.
RNC investigators were already in the area prior to the fire call, dealing with a death at the house next door.
Police say the death doesn't appear to be suspicious or related to the fire.
Popular now in news
Basil Borutski guilty of murdering 3 women in shocking killing spree
Chiropractic neck manipulations risk to public, says report
Tearful Justin Trudeau apologizes to N.L. residential school survivors
'I'm glad it's going slowly — You don't deserve a bullet:' Uma Thurman slams Harvey Weinstein
Pooches pay bedside visit to dog walker after wilderness ordeal