Looky-there! Stephenville fire leads to marijuana bust
The good news? The Mounties saved the apartment from being destroyed by fire. The bad news? They found the marijuana plant the tenant had been growing.
An alert off-duty RCMP officer noticed a fire at an apartment in Stephenville on Wednesday afternoon, and kicked in the door while calling in the fire department.
Crews extinguished the blaze, which caused damage limited to the bedroom in the Alabama Drive apartment.
However, the police also noticed a marijuana plant that was growing there.
They have charged the 20-year-old man living in the apartment with production and possession of a controlled substance.
RCMP said the fire started in an overheated power bar.