RCMP in central Newfoundland believe a cigarette might have started a fire that almost destroyed a home in Lewisporte on Friday morning.
Const. Donald Matthews said an officer on patrol noticed heavy black smoke coming from the Pond Road area around 10:30 a.m.
A dozen volunteer firefighters responded to the fire and quickly contained the blaze, but the inside of the residence was extensively damaged.
Matthews said when he arrived on the scene, a woman was outside the house trying to douse the flames with a jug of water.
The woman, two teenagers and the family dog all escaped with no injuries.
Matthews said the fire started outside the bungalow, and high winds caused it to spread quickly.
The matter remains under investigation.