Jedi fun and the Terry Fox Run on WAM's weekend picks
1. Every year, millions of people in 25 countries participate in the Terry Fox Run. This year, 40 communities in Newfoundland and Labrador are taking part, from Nain to St. John's. Check out their website for a complete list of locations and details on how you can participate. The run will be held this Sunday.
2. "Community Cares" Fundraiser for Friends affected by the Duckworth Street fire on Sept. 4 will take place on Sunday from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. at the Rock House on George Street. A group of concerned citizens and neighbours — including the Rock House, Grow Crazy, Piatto Pizzeria & Enoteca, and Wing'n It — have pulled together to put off a fundraising event for those affected by the fire. Those impacted mostly include Oxfam and Food for Thought. There's a great lineup of musicians, including John Cossar, the Sidekicks, Atlantic Union, and the Pints, as well as door prizes, raffles, and more.
3. ARTFUSiON Festival, which includes performances by dancers, hula hoopers, jugglers and musicians, will be presented by the Association of the Arts in Mount Pearl on Saturday. There will be displays by local artists and artisans, crafts and activities for the kids, and everyone can participate in one of our easy community art projects. Catch the family festival in the Kenmount Park Community Centre.
4. Check out Joanna Barker's Candle Light Concert on Saturday night, her EP release party for A Sudden Flame. This twenty-something Grand Falls-Windsor native began making waves through St. John's folk music community in 2010 with a unique sound — a careful juggle of folk, jazz, blues and country. By early 2012, Joanna celebrated the release of her debut album February. This weekend, her eagerly anticipated second recording will be released in an intimate setting, just how she intended. This is a must-see, but seats are limited. Tickets are $20 at Fred's Records and the event starts at 8 p.m. at Commissariat House.
5. If you're a big Star Wars fan, Jedi Light Sabre training might be the place for you to be this weekend. Always wanted to be a Jedi? This is your chance. Learn the art of light sabre combat to protect yourself from the dark side, all in a light, bright, kid-friendly environment. In case you busted up your old light sabre in a battle with a Sith Lord, organizers will have a few "training" sabres on hand for your protection. Costumes are optional, but clothing is necessary. Feel the Force at 1 p.m. at Centennial Park in Mount Pearl on Sunday. For more info, call 765-9383.