St. John's IceCaps logo

The St. John's IceCaps walloped the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 5-0 on Wednesday night in Game 3 of their AHL Eastern Conference Final. With the win, St. John's has taken a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven series. (St. John's IceCaps)

The St. John’s IceCaps played a flawless road game and pounded the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 5-0 in the third game of their Eastern Conference Final series at Mohegan Sun Arena Wednesday night.

With the win, the IceCaps have taken a two-one lead in the best-of-seven series.

Andrew Gordon had three assists and Eric O’Dell notched a goal and an assist, while Michael Hutchinson stopped all 30 shots he faced for his second shutout of the postseason.

Jason Jaffray, Kael Mouillierat, Zach Redmond and Patrice Cormier also scored for St. John’s.

The IceCaps opened the scoring at 11:24 with the first power play goal by either team in the series. With time ticking down on the man advantage, Josh Morrissey made a feed through the slot to Cormier, who redirected it past Peter Mannino for his first of the playoffs to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Less than two minutes later, St. John’s extended its lead to two on Jaffray’s third of the post-season. Gordon forced a turnover behind the Penguins net and fed Jaffray near the right hash marks. The captain wired a one-timer that found the twine for a 2-0 IceCaps lead.

Just 1:35 into the second, O’Dell notched his eighth to give the IceCaps a three-goal advantage. After some forechecking by Mouillierat and Carl Klingberg, the puck squirted out front to O’Dell, who was in position to wrist one past the glove of Mannino.

St. John’s kept coming after the Penguins found themselves in penalty trouble. With a full two-minute 5-on-3 power play following some undisciplined play by the Penguins’ Zach Sill and Tom Kostopoulos, Mouillierat was the recipient of a nice cross-ice feed from Gordon and ripped home his third of the playoffs to make it 4-0.

With time ticking away in the second, the IceCaps extended their lead to five. After the Penguins iced the puck with close to five seconds left in the frame, St. John’s controlled the faceoff and Redmond fired a slap shot from the point that snuck by Mannino and trickled over the goal line, giving the IceCaps a commanding 5-0 lead after 40 minutes, ending the netminder’s night.

St. John’s shut down Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in the final frame to earn the victory.

Game 4 is scheduled for Thursday night at Mohegan Sun Arena.