Guests help put out small fire at Leaside Manor
Some fast-thinking guests managed to help put out a small fire Saturday night at a St. John's bed and breakfast.
An electrical fireplace overheated in one of the units at Leaside Manor on Old Topsail Road, St. John's Regional Fire Department Superintendent Robert Fowler told CBC.
The guests in the unit quickly grabbed a fire extinguisher to douse the smoke.
Fowler said when fire crews arrived on the scene shortly after 9 p.m., they evacuated the guesthouse and turned off power in the affected unit.
He added that there was not a lot of damage, save from the fire extinguisher being discharged, and once things were under control people went back inside the guesthouse.
Management at Leaside relocated the guests to a different location.