Fire causes evacuation at St. John's personal care home

Elderly residents of a personal care home in St. John's were evacuated early Wednesday morning because of a small fire in the building's basement.

A small fire caused an evacuation of a personal care home in St. John's on Wednesday morning.

Two fire stations in the city responded to the call at Katherine House on LeMarchant Road.

St. John's Regional Fire Department shift Supt. Robert Fowler said the fire was confined to one room in the basement area.

"The fire had been previously extinguished by one of the workers at Katherine House, and when our guys got in, there was just smoke and smouldering debris," said Fowler.

Officials say nobody was seriously injured, but all residents were being checked by paramedics as a precaution.