I admit it. I had never heard the terms 'Cosplay' or 'Steampunk' until last week when the Sci-Fi on the Rock convention was happening at the Holiday Inn in St. John's (for the 8th year!). I had to check out the out-of-this-world fashions for myself! Of course, there were your typical Star Wars characters, superheroes and Transformers — but what fascinated me most were the people whose style borrowed from the past and placed it in the future like Steampunk does (think futuristic interpretation of the Victorian era). You have to admire the imagination and the crafty costume-making skills.
FashioNL is back to the future
By Paula Gale, CBC News Posted: May 30, 2014 12:07 PM NT Last Updated: May 30, 2014 12:13 PM NT
Latest Nfld. & Labrador News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- MP critical of 22 Minutes star's post about Parliament Hill shooting
- 'This is not OK': N.L. newspaper uses front page to blast sexist 'trolls'
- Bangladeshi chef and wife open NJ's Kitchen in St. John's
- WestJet flight from Gatwick Airport to St. John's diverted to Ireland
- Costco fruit recall: Get immunized immediately, consumers warned
- Photographer captures Syrian family's new found joy in St. John's
- Thrill of the chase the ace: What are your chances?
- Ryan Janes won't fight as 1st Newfoundlander in UFC octagon Saturday night
- Blast from the past: Berry pickers find old explosive near Rigolet
- Meat thief arrested at St. John's grocery store