I admit it. I had never heard the terms 'Cosplay' or 'Steampunk' until last week when the Sci-Fi on the Rock convention was happening at the Holiday Inn in St. John's (for the 8th year!). I had to check out the out-of-this-world fashions for myself! Of course, there were your typical Star Wars characters, superheroes and Transformers — but what fascinated me most were the people whose style borrowed from the past and placed it in the future like Steampunk does (think futuristic interpretation of the Victorian era). You have to admire the imagination and the crafty costume-making skills.
FashioNL is back to the future
By Paula Gale, CBC News Posted: May 30, 2014 12:07 PM NT Last Updated: May 30, 2014 12:13 PM NT
Latest Nfld. & Labrador News Headlines
Latest Audio and Video
Members of the Facebook group "Justice for Dana Bradley" were hoping to dig up evidence in unsolved murder case this afternoon.
Nalcor VP Gilbert Bennett speaks with CBC reporter Terry Roberts.
The recent federal budget allotted six million dollars for a technical assessment of the Manolis L shipwreck off the province's Northeast Coast. Our Leigh Anne Power spoke Anne Miller from Coast Guard about what that means.
Guests: Terry Bishop Stirling, head of the history department at Memorial University. Colleen Jones, whose grandfather died at Beaumont Hamel.
Top News Headlines
- Fossil fuel decline could be 'faster than expected,' government think-tank warns
- Cincinnati zookeeper: 'We live in the real world, we make real decisions'
- Forget Trump vs. Republicans — Sanders vs. Democrats is the political war to watch
- Divorced parents need guidance on child benefit's impact, Conservatives say
- Concrete collapse at Muskrat Falls megaproject under investigation
- Italy raises Muskrat Falls concerns with Trudeau at G7
- Ed Martin says Dwight Ball approved severance pay
- St. John's man credits radio interview with saving his sight
- 'I want to be buried at home': Man fears he won't fulfil dying wish if bridge to Corbin not replaced
- It's a bird! Three newborns hatch in Junco's Pub
- Bail hearing set for St. John's cabbie charged with sexual assault
- Police in Corner Brook concerned for safety of missing woman
- N.L. taxi driver charged with sexual assault
- Montreal businessman denies owing bank for alleged debts of company linked to Anne Squires