I admit it. I had never heard the terms 'Cosplay' or 'Steampunk' until last week when the Sci-Fi on the Rock convention was happening at the Holiday Inn in St. John's (for the 8th year!). I had to check out the out-of-this-world fashions for myself! Of course, there were your typical Star Wars characters, superheroes and Transformers — but what fascinated me most were the people whose style borrowed from the past and placed it in the future like Steampunk does (think futuristic interpretation of the Victorian era). You have to admire the imagination and the crafty costume-making skills.
FashioNL is back to the future
By Paula Gale, CBC News Posted: May 30, 2014 12:07 PM NT Last Updated: May 30, 2014 12:13 PM NT
Latest Nfld. & Labrador News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- FISH-NL demonstrators disperse from FFAW offices after demands not met
- 'I got my son back. To hell with the rest of it,' says Richard Gillett's father
- 75 fake reservations at Mallard Cottage 'a nuisance'
- 'I do feel cheated': Andrea Gosse opens up on 1st anniversary of daughter Quinn Butt's death
- With rave reviews across the country, Newfoundland-filmed Maudie opens in St. John's
- Overdue snowmobiler found safe after spending night in cabin on Northern Peninsula
- Long time coming: Torbay's new school opens its doors Tuesday
- Who needs spring anyway? Freezing rain record set for St. John's
- Food festival a chance to learn from the best in the kitchen, says Grand Falls-Windsor chef
- Anthony Bourdain goes to bat for Canadian seal hunt