I admit it. I had never heard the terms 'Cosplay' or 'Steampunk' until last week when the Sci-Fi on the Rock convention was happening at the Holiday Inn in St. John's (for the 8th year!). I had to check out the out-of-this-world fashions for myself! Of course, there were your typical Star Wars characters, superheroes and Transformers — but what fascinated me most were the people whose style borrowed from the past and placed it in the future like Steampunk does (think futuristic interpretation of the Victorian era). You have to admire the imagination and the crafty costume-making skills.
FashioNL is back to the future
By Paula Gale, CBC News Posted: May 30, 2014 12:07 PM NT Last Updated: May 30, 2014 12:13 PM NT
Latest Nfld. & Labrador News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- Long in the tooth in Brigus South: walrus spotted sunbathing on the rocks
- Body of writer Patrick O'Flaherty found, missing since swimming Wednesday
- Spade tattoo clue to $20K St. John's jewelry fraudster
- Kenmount Terrace roundabout has resident spinning his wheels
- St. John's councillor to make motion to move Boncloddy restaurant forward
- Bay of Islands man back to jail after 2nd conviction of sexually abusing a minor
- RNC say 30-year-old man asked young girls for sex in St. John's park
- Province to spend $5.5M to help fish plant workers qualify for E.I.
- Break in procedure caused fatal transmission tower collapse: N.L. Hydro
- Body of Newfoundland writer recovered in Barbour's Pond after 3-day search