The retrial for David Ryan which was supposed to start Tuesday morning has been delayed.

This will be the second time Ryan will face charges for killing Richard Brace in July 2005.

A jury convicted Ryan of second-degree murder following a 2007 trial, during which he represented himself.

However, the verdict was overturned in 2012 and a new trial was ordered.

Lawyer Bob Buckingham, who is representing Ryan, said the trial is scheduled to start March 13.

"All I can say is that there are legal issues significant enough that the selection of the jury, which was supposed to happen today, did not take place and the start of the trial did not happen today," he said.

Brace was attacked at a party at Ryan's home in Carbonear.

Two other people, including one young offender, were also convicted of manslaughter in the beating death.

Ryan was previously sentenced to 16 years in prison, without parole.