A complaint against priest Wayne Dohey that triggered his suspension from St. Patrick's parish in St. John's has been filed with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.
An official with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John's said the complainant has also made a formal statement with the police.
Archbishop Martin Currie is is revealing few details about why Dohey was removed last week from all ministerial duties at St. Patrick's, pending an internal investigation into an unspecified complaint.
Currie is refusing to say what is alleged to have happened, but told CBC News the matter is being taken seriously.
"In the past, we were accused of not acting on complaints and following up on them. So the minute we received the complaint we have suspended Father from ministry and removed him from the parish here," Currie said.
"I'm always very saddened when these things happen, when complaints are levelled against our clergy, no matter what the nature of it is."
Currie said the complaint is not related to recent court charges brought against Diane Clare Coady who is accused of theft and fraud connected to an audit that found $306,000 could not be accounted for.
Outside mass on Sunday, St. Patrick's parishioners such as Gwen Daly offered support for Dohey.
"He has been very good for the parish. He is very approachable," she said.
"We will wait and see what comes of that."
Dohey had been charged in 2007 with sexual assault and sexual exploitation. Those charges were dismissed by a judge.