Cold Brook couple grateful for smoke detector

A couple in western Newfoundland escaped a house fire early Monday morning, thanks to a smoke detector.

A couple in western Newfoundland escaped a house fire early Monday morning, thanks to a smoke detector.

The couple lives in Cold Brook, near Stephenville.

The Stephenville fire department got a call around 1:30 a.m. that the bungalow was on fire.

The couple was outside when crews arrived.

They were not injured, but their home was extensively damaged.

The fire department said it took several hours to get the fire under control because the rural community does not have fire hydrants.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.