Two workers were sent to hospital after a chemical spill in Mount Pearl Wednesday evening.

Emergency responders were called to the Day and Ross building in Donovan's Industrial Park around 6:30 p.m.

The chemical, Styrene, had leaked from a 45-litre drum and the workers had attempted to clean it up.

A fire department spokesperson said the workers were exposed to strong vapours and were hospitalized as a precaution.

A cleanup crew was called and the area was contained.

Styrene is a highly-flammable resin used in making fibreglass.