The man who was shot during a Botwood home invasion over the weekend has succumbed to his injuries, according to the RCMP.
Police have now charged Gilbert Budgell, 53, of Botwood with second-degree murder.
Budgell was arrested and charged with attempted murder and possession of a firearm while prohibited, after two men entered his home on Swanee Pool Road Saturday night.
One man was taken to hospital in St. John's, where he has since died.
Court documents allege Budgell shot and struck the victim.
Const. Marcus Skinner told CBC News Wednesday afternoon that a "number of police resources [are] currently tasked with investigating this matter."
Police are not commenting on how a homeowner, whose residence was invaded, came to be charged with such serious offences, or why Budgell is believed to have shot one of the two men.
Officers are also not commenting on what injuries the man died from or how many times he was shot.
Search of home complete
Earlier this week, Const. Ian Dollimount told CBC News that the RCMP maintains the home invasion was no accident, and said neighbours have no reason to fear for their safety.
"We do strongly believe ... that this residence was targeted," he said.
"The public can rest assured we don't have concerns for any other residents in the area."
Before the charge was upgraded, Budgell was scheduled to appear in court Thursday for a bail hearing.
RCMP said they have completed their search of Budgell's home, and are now looking for the second suspect in relation to the home invasion.
Budgell has been in trouble with the law in the past. In 2009, he was charged twice with possession of drugs, and was found guilty in 2011.
For that, he was ordered to pay a fine of $2,000 and placed on probation for 12 months.
Budgell has also been convicted of assault in Ontario. In 2002 he was sentenced to 30 days in jail and 18 months probation, and was placed on a weapons prohibition for 10 years.