Here is the list of Weekend AM's picks for the upcoming weekend.
1. There's plenty of live music all through the weekend. All of the following are taking place in St. John's.
Friday, at 6 p.m. Mary Barry is launching her new CD at the Cox & Palmer Second Space, LSPU Hall.
Friday, at 10 p.m. The Long Distance Runners play The Fat Cat, George Street.
Friday, at 8 p.m. Sherman Downey plus The Garrison Hill Band at The Breezeway, Memorial University.
Saturday, at 1 p.m. Sherman Downey is performing at Fred's Records, 198 Duckworth St. All ages welcome for a free in-store concert.
Saturday, at 10 p.m. Sherry Ryan and her country band perform at Nautical Nellies, 201 Water St.
Sunday, at 8 p.m. The Dardanelles play live at The Hall, 3 Victoria St. There are still tickets available for Sunday.
2. Christmas at Commissariat House. On Friday and Saturday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., celebrate the yule with the sights, sounds and traditions of 1830s Christmas in St. John's. Warm cider, candlelit tours of the house by characters from 1830s St. John's.
On Saturday and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m., families can sample a Christmas pudding from the Commissariat kitchen and make Christmas crafts. Admission is a non-perishable food item in support of the Community Food Sharing Association.
3. Christmas in Quidi Vidi Gut: On Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Craft Incubator at the Quidi Vidi Village Plantation. Meet the artisans, do a little Christmas shopping, enjoy some delicious food and drink, and enjoy some trad music. Tasty nibblies from Mallard Cottage, the Anna Templeton Centre, and the Quidi Vidi Village Foundation.
4. David Suzuki. On Saturday at 7 p.m. at Gower Street United Church, see a debut screening of the film Climate Change in Atlantic Canada, followed by a panel discussion with Dr. David Suzuki and filmmaker Dr Ian Mauro.
5. People and the Sea Film Festival: St. John's. Take part in a film festival that focuses on environmental issues and the health of the ocean, at Memorial University's Bruneau Innovation Centre on the main campus in St. John's. Some of the screenings include Planet Ocean on Friday at 7 p.m., The Big Fix on Saturday at 2 p.m. and The Last Ocean on Sunday at 7:40 p.m. More details here. Each ticket: $10.
6. Christmas Choir Concert, Saturday at 8 p.m. at Cochrane Street United Church. Lady Cove and Newman Sound join forces with the acclaimed MUN Chamber Orchestra to bring you an array of masterpieces for choir and orchestra, including Gustav Holst’s Christmas Day, John Rutter’s glorious Magnificat, and the Canadian premiere of Arvo Pärt’s In Principio, as well as many beloved traditional carols like you’ve never heard them before. Tickets: $24 online at the Holy Heart Theatre, by email here or by phone at (709) 579-4424.
Got an event?
Let WAM know about your wicked weekend events. Click here to get in touch.
[CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.]