$63M shaved from last year's deficit

Newfoundland and Labrador finished the last fiscal year in the red, but in a better position than expected, newly released documents show.
Finance Minister Tom Marshall says the government finished the 2012-2013 fiscal year in better shape than expected.

Newfoundland and Labrador finished the last fiscal year in the red, but in a better position than expected, newly released documents show.

Audited financial statements released by Finance Minister Tom Marshall show that the government concluded the 2012-2013 fiscal year, which ended last March, with a deficit of $195 million.

That's $63.4 million better than the deficit of $258.4 million that had been forecast.

Marshall said the change "is primarily the result of lower than expected expenditures during the year."

The statements were released Tuesday.

Last December, Marshall said the government is also expecting to finish the current fiscal year with a lower deficit than first thought. Marshall said the government at that time was expecting a deficit of $450.6 million, down from the $563.8 million announced in the March budget.

The government expects to have a balanced budget in 2015. 

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.