3 N.L. men arrested, charged for child pornography
Arrests part of nation-wide dragnet Operation Snapshot III
Three people from Newfoundland and Labrador are facing charges of possessing child pornography and making it available.
'So far this year, in six months, we have 50 active investigations." - Staff Sgt. Joe Gullage
The arrests were part of a nation-wide police dragnet called Operation Snapshot III, an investigation that targeted online sexual predators.
The operation, which began in February 2014, involved more than 40 police agencies and was coordinated by the RCMP's National Child Exploitation Coordination Centre.
In this province, 11 people were investigated.
James Isaacs of Fortune, Dane Miller of BaieVerte and Bradley Park of Comfort Cove were arrested.
Computers, smartphones seized
The forces seized hundreds of computers containing two million images and videos.
"Each of these online images and videos contain real victims, real children," said Supt. Bill Malone at a news conference in St. John's on Thursday.
The individuals that are involved in child exploitation are trolling the internet all the time.- Supt. Bill Malone
Police have seized computers, smartphones and other equipment in towns all over the island.
Search warrants were executed in St. John's, Fortune, Baie Verte, Comfort Cove, Goulds, Placentia, Botwood, Bonavista and Glovertown.
Unlike predators that approach children on the street, the people this investigation targeted are those lurking online.
Staff Sgt. Joe Gullage said the number of investigations of this kind in the province has doubled over the past year.
"Last year, for the full year, we had 49 active investigations. So far this year, in six months, we have 50 active investigations."
One message at Thursday's news conference was clear for parents: be vigilant about what your children are doing online.
"The individuals that are involved in child exploitation are trolling the internet all the time," said Malone.
Police said more charges are likely.