A woman in Zealand says she still isn't able to move back into her home more than a year after it was flooded and she is upset that the provincial government has offered her a fraction of the costs to repair her home.
Several communities across northern, eastern and southwestern New Brunswick were turned into flood zones in December 2010 after days of intense rain poured down on the province.
The provincial government has already approved $35 million in repairs to public and private infrastructure from those storms across the province.
But Serena Wallace of Zealand said she just received her disaster assistance cheque and it is less than 10 per cent of what she applied for from the provincial government.
Wallace said she documented her expenses after the flood and they amounted to just under $47,000.
On Friday, Wallace said she got a one-time flood-relief payment that she thought was a misprint.
"I got a cheque for $4,600," she said.
Wallace said she remembers when she first saw the extent of the damage to her home.
"I turned around this way, right about here. I noticed the oil on top of the water," Wallace said.
Wallace said tests of her home's air quality last January showed unacceptable levels of oil fumes.
She hasn't lived in the house since the flood.
Letter from the premier
What is frustrating Wallace even more is that she said Premier David Alward promised her in a letter last year that her repairs would be taken care of.
"Rest assured that costs associated with recommended cleanup measures will be eligible under our Disaster Financial Assistance Program," Wallace quoted from Alward’s letter.
The Department of Public Safety, which is responsible for administering the disaster financial assistance program, said it can't discuss individual cases.
But a departmental spokesperson said there is a clause in the assistance program that states there must be evidence of damage for a clean-up to be eligible.
So far, the provincial government has approved $35 million to repair public and private infrastructure that was damaged in the three storms that hit northern, eastern and southern New Brunswick in December 2010.
The department has approved $5.67 million so far on private sector damages. And of that, $2.66 million has been spent in Charlotte County on 111 claims.
The provincial government has purchased 22 destroyed homes and of those, 12 were in Charlotte County.