Fredericton YMCA hidden camera case adjourned until June

Hugh Croll, a former Fredericton YMCA worker, will have to wait until June 10 to learn his fate on a charge of voyeurism in connection with installing a hidden video camera in the male locker room.

Ex-staffer Hugh James Clifford Croll charged with voyeurism for installing camera in male locker room

Hugh James Clifford Croll, 54, is scheduled to return to Fredericton provincial court on June 10 for a verdict on his voyeurism charge. (CBC)

A Fredericton judge has reserved decision on the case of a former YMCA worker charged with voyeurism in connection with a hidden video camera being installed in the male locker room.

Hugh James Clifford Croll, 54, will have to wait until June 10 to learn his fate.

Croll is accused of surreptitiously making visual recordings of people who had a reasonable expectation of privacy between Oct. 1, 2011 and July 31, 2012.

Judge Mary Jane Richards heard closing arguments Thursday from the Crown and defence.

Crown prosecutor Rodney Jordan contends Croll intended to record members in the men's and boys' locker room and that he invaded their privacy.

The camera ran for between four and six weeks before it was disconnected, he said.

​The trial previously heard that Croll, who was a facilities manager at the YMCA, had installed the video camera in an attempt to stop thefts in the locker room.

Croll said the thefts stopped after a member was expelled from the club, and he was told by his boss to remove the camera about four to six weeks after he had installed it, but he only disconnected it in case he needed it again.

Defence lawyer Daniel Leger argued Thursday that no video evidence was submitted in the case, and that any video would have only shown members from the shoulders up.

The Crown countered that any lack of sexual intent is not the point; it's the invasion of privacy. And even if no video was recorded, the Crown contends Croll is at the very least guilty of intent.

The hidden video camera only became public in April 2014 — nearly two years after the fact. Croll was charged six months later.

Last fall, the defence had asked the judge to dismiss the case, arguing the Crown never produced any video recordings that were produced through the camera. But Richards denied the motion.

With files from Redmond Shannon

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.