Terrance Leger’s release concerns Berwick residents
Leger guilty on 3 counts of sexual interference
Parents living in a tiny community near Sussex, N.B., are asking that a sex offender who committed crimes against young boys and has taken up residence in the area be forced to leave.
They’re hosting a public meeting on Tuesday night asking the RCMP to discuss Terrance Leger’s release from prison last week.
He’s moving to Berwick after serving more than two years on three counts of sexual interference involving young boys.
Resident Melanie McMillan said she had to warn her 13-year-old son, 12-year-old daughter and nine-year-old stepdaughter to stay away.
“I'm going to protect my children. He needs to leave,” she said. “My children can't walk up and down the road because he lives here now. But he can. We're prisoners in our home while Terry walks free."
Dave Mantin, spokesman for the Sexual Abuse Network in New Brunswick, said Leger shouldn't be living near families with children.
“It's just way too close," he said.
In a decision released last year, the Parole Board of Canada said Leger "sexually offended towards both male and female children on several occasions over an extended period" and “could easily return to sexually offending.”
But Sgt. Dale Morgan said Leger has served his full sentence and he does have a right to privacy.
“We cannot dictate. The courts cannot dictate where people live,” he said. “He has met his custodial obligation so when that is done and he's reached the end of his parole, he's a free man. He's free to go.”
Still, the RCMP asked the courts to impose some conditions, including no contact with minors, no going near schools, and a midnight curfew.
The meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Millstream Recreation Centre.